Katie Knits

Kate geeks out about yarn, knitting, spinning, and other crafts.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Lelah Modification Specifics

Warning: unless you are adding straps to the lelah tube top this is going to be an incredibly boring post.
I don't have a picture yet. I've been far to busy with work and school. I've gotten lots of questions though. I promise to add a picture soon, but for now you'll have to settle for just the details. For those interested I knit it according to the instructions for the large size. I followed the decreases as they were written instead of measuring above my chest like she suggests. I figured I'd be ok since I was adding straps. I used lion brand cotton ease from my stash. I used just about 2 skeins exactly. I made an icord for the tie instead of ribbon. So if you use ribbon, 2 skeins is probably perfect. If you want an icord, I'd buy 3 skeins just in case. I knit the lace part on the bottom on US size 10 needles. I then switched to US size 7 for the top. I wanted to make sure the fabric was fairly dense and not see through. I knit until the stockinette part was long enough and then starting at my stitch marker that signified the beginning of a round, I BO 12 sts, K 11, BO 24, K 11, BO 24, K11, BO 24, K 11, BO 12.
Straps: At each set of 11 sts, attach yarn then:
Row 1: knit
Row 2: purl
Row 3: knit
Row 4: purl
Row 5: ssk, k7, k2tog
Row 6: purl
Row 7: ssk, k5, k2tog
continue in stockinette st until strap part is about 6 inches long, or how ever long you need to reach the top of your shoulder. I then used kitchner stitch to seam each of the front straps to the corresponding back strap. Last I crocheted in slip stitch all the way around both arm holes and the head hole so it wouldn't be a rolling mess. There were vague strap mods posted somewhere about page 14 of the lelah thread on craftster. I used those as a jumping off point. I'm glad to answer any questions for anyone changing up there own lelah. I tried to be as clear as possible. I hope that makes sense. Pictures soon to come!

3 Comments:

Blogger KnittyMomma said...

thanks so much for this!

April 20, 2006 5:17 PM  
Blogger Whitney said...

YES, thanks so much for this! I have 3 skeins of LB Cotton Ease in Charcoal and want to use it to make my mother a top for Xmas. She would love this, but only with straps, so THANKS again!

November 28, 2007 7:50 PM  
Blogger Whitney said...

One last comment/question, if that's okay: I know my mother would prefer wider straps...more like a shell than a tank. Because I SUCK at math, could you tell me how you would modify your (already modified) measurements for the straps? THANK YOU!!!

November 28, 2007 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home